Friday, June 28, 2013

Mushroom & Truffle Oil Pizza



Addiction, by definition, is the continued use of a substance of behavior despite adverse consequences.  So, I'm coming clean...

I'm addicted to truffle oil.

Continued use? Yep- any chance I get.  Adverse consequences?  I'd say so-- eating an entire pizza in a fairly short period of time probably isn't so good for me.  Oops.

So that is in fact exactly what happened when I made this pizza.  It combines some of my favorite things: truffle oil (obviously), mushrooms, and cheese!  I tried to take pictures of the process while cooking... but I was clearly too excited and ended up with little more than pictures of mushrooms and the final product.  Sorry!  Maybe next time?  Eh- chances are the same thing will happen again.  However, my message to you: make this pizza, and whatever you do, don't plan on sharing it with many people.  You won't want to.



I know it looks like a lot of mushrooms, but they shrink when they lose their moisture and cook... usually about half the volume so double what you think you want!  If you don't, by the time they're cooked you'll be wondering who the mushroom thief might be :)





Mushroom & Truffle Oil Pizza


Ingredients:

Pizza dough (purchased or prepared from scratch)
8 ounces sliced mushrooms (any combination- I used portobello, shiitake, cremini, and button)
1/2 large white onion
4+ ounces mozzarella, shredded
truffle oil
1/2 Tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
Parmesan cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Slice the onion thinly, and cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently until caramel in color.  
Prepare pizza dough according to directions (on package or recipe).  Roll it out to the shape of your pan, making sure it's fairly even.
2. Top the pizza with mushrooms, cheese, thyme, salt and pepper.  Bake at about 425 for a few minutes for crispy crust; decrease to 400 for a few more minutes if you want the crust more thoroughly cooked.
3. As soon as the pizza is done to your preferences, bring it out and sprinkle a little more parmesan (if you want) and then drizzle a TINY amount of truffle oil.  As obsessed as I am, I promise a little bit goes a long way!
4.  Slice, and ENJOY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment